Thursday, July 18, 2013

Extra Fresh Veggies = Squash Chow Chow

Squash Chow Chow  that should be called
Multi Vegetable Chow Chow

 We are getting lots of fresh vegetables from the garden.
So, I made a batch of Chow Chow, I have had
this recipe  for years, and have always changed up
the  squash to a multi of different vegetables.

This will be really good this winter with  those peas and
butterbeans. Also,  a spoonful over the chicken tacos
is super good!!


 Recipe

12 cups grated [or cut up in small chunks] squash-[I used a mixture
of yellow squash, white squash, green tomato, cucumbers

2 large onions

2 large bell peppers

Optional-  2 -3 hot peppers [any kind you like]

5 teaspoon salt [once you have chopped above vegetables,
sprinkle salt over  it. Set in refrigerator [covered] overnight.

 The next morning:  Bring to a boil:
2 1/2 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon tumuric
2 teaspoon pickling spice
4 cups sugar
Once it boils and all this is dissolved good, pour on top
the vegetable mix. Bring this to a boil, and boil for
20 minutes. Put in jars [that are cleaned and  prepared
for canning.

notes:
1-  I put my pickling spice in a  piece of cloth and tie it up,
and then put in the vinegar mixture. Once it is cooked,
I remove and throw away.  I don't like the seeds to be in my
 chow chow.

2-You may use your choice of vegetables.. just what ever
you have on hand.. I have even added shredded cabbage
when, I was short on above veggies.
3- Use  the hot peppers that you like, and  the amount of hotness
you like. I don't add the hot peppers.

4- You can  grate  or cut these veggies ,any way you like? The
original recipe said to grate , I have done this, But I like
the texture of the chopped veggies the best!

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh thanks. I might make this. I just canned 8 pints of carrots and 8 pints of green beans today. I love to can. I will have more green beans to can next weekend. I like to have about 70 pints of green beans on the shelf to last me until next years harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Welcome.. I have been canning green beans too.. Today, I put up purple hull peas in the freezer and made 3 pints of apple pie filling.. Busy week.. But , won't it all taste good this winter.

      Delete
  2. OOOOOO!!! YUMMY!!! Thank you for the recipe!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a cook Judy, but it does look yummy. I tend to buy these sorts of things on fundraising events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea...you get the delicious stuff & help a fundraiser too!

      Delete
  4. Wow Judy, this is amazing to me and looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This souns wonderful. Thank your sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for sharing your recipe I hope I get lots veges this summer and I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.. It is really easy [other than the chopping all that stuff,ha]. And really taste good with the peas and butterbeans..

      Delete