Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sewing..Why do you Sew?

Sewing....Is it for young people?? Is it for Old People? Is it for fun? Is it for better fitting clothes? What is your reason for sewing?

 As I was pondering over this retro picture of a singer sewing machine, I thought about the area in which I live. There are very few sewers here. The interest is fading away.. Some will say, "only old ladies sew".  Some will say..It is only to mend our clothes.  Some will say...It is for making fun hobbies/crafts...Some will say...It is for making clothes that fit [because RTW doesn't fit]. Some will say... to be able to make modest clothes. Some will say... to make vintage dresses.

For me, I would say.... I learned to sew many years ago, when my sweet  daughter was a little baby.[She is now a high school history teacher.] My sweet husband went out and bought me a sewing machine. I could barely sew a straight seam.lol But , I taught myself, the basics. I made her tons of sun dresses. The same pattern over and over that summer..And I gradually made a dress with a sleeve, or a collar or a zipper, or buttons. I messed up a lot of garments. But, I kept on.. In those days, there  was no computer ,no sewing blogs, no sewing books [or I was too poor and too dumb to go to the library to find a book?]. I think the thing ,that kept me going ,was the  twirling and giggling of that little girl in her new found dresses. She was too young and sweet to notice the many imperfections of her Mama's learning dresses.And this sewing thing.. became my most treasured hobby..   I may go through down times and sit it aside for a few weeks..But ,it always comes back. And I am so proud to have this wonderful hobby..

11 comments:

  1. Oh Judy I think i sew for lots of different reason. Dressmaking is because I'm sick od rubbish quality and styles in the shops, or what I do like is out of my price range! I love dressmaking but I also love crafts, things for the home toys presents, nothing states love time and care than something made by yourself. x xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte, I so agree.. Nothing says Love and care , like a special handmade item. Thankyou for your comment.Happy sewing and crafting.

      Delete
  2. I have been thinking about this myself Judy. I started sewing clothes so I could wear exactly what I wanted, then convinced myself it was to save money. Now I want to sew beautiful things, no matter the cost. In fact I just want to be able to sew for as long as I can. It makes me very happy, and keeps me away from troublesome things like mindless gossip. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sew because it's makes me feel happy.. I cannot quantify or explain why. I love shopping clothes and sewing is not either ready to wear or homemade... It's the joy of creating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, so well said..It is the joy of creating.. Thankyou for commenting. Happy sewing and crafting.

      Delete
  4. What a nice post. I sew because I need a creative outlet and some time to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stacie..
      I so agree...isnt sewing such a wonderful outlet.. I love,love it.. I could talk for hours about it and never grow weary.
      Bty..your new quilt is absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to work on a quilt.

      Delete
  5. That is the nicest reason I ever heard to do anything Judy. What a labour of love your sewing has been. And now you sahre it with us too, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charolette.. Thankyou for the comment and for always seeing the 'NICE' in everything. I so adore your comments, my sweet sewing buddy.
      Happy sewing!!

      Delete
  6. Dear Judy,

    I love this post...and your sweet story of sewing for your little girl...and now you have more little girls to sew for! I, too, sew for a similar reason...I just love making things for other people...it just makes me feel "sew" good! And, I also love to sew because my mama loves to sew...and her mama before her.

    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Laura.. My mama sewed, my grandmother sewed.. I lost my grandmother queit a few years back, but oh how I loved to sit with her and watch her sew away on that old peddle singer sewing machine [like this picture].
      LOVE TO SEW!!!!!God has blessed me so much and it is fantastic.

      Delete