Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas[Thanksgiving] Cactus

Thanksgiving Cactus .. that waits until Christmas to Bloom!!
Beautiful Fushia  Color Blooms
 I must confess and tell of my love/hate relationship
with this plant.. One Sunday ,several years ago,  several
of us ladies  were talking about blooming cactus.. My
reply was, " they really are not pretty plants, only
when they are blooming, and you have to wait
too long  on the beautiful blooms!!!"  Well, the
next Sunday, 3 different ladies showed up
with me some cuttings [leaves waiting for me to
root].. OH  desperation---- I don't want to mess
with these!!!!! But, I feel too bad to  throw
them away.. So, being the lazy person I am, I tossed
them all in a glass to root.. In no time, they were
all rooted together.. SO,  I just got a little pot
and potted them all together.. I wondered what
I would come up with??? What color?  What month?
 Well. my Thanksgiving cactus,, doesn't bloom unitl
almost Christmas. And only 1/2 of it blooms and it
has these beautiful fushia blooms. Then when they
are all dead and gone ,usually about first of Feburary
 the other 1/2 blooms with a light pink bloom..
So, the moral of the story is:  I  am hooked!!!
even though ,it s ugly for most of the year, the
beauty of the blooms are so worth waiting for..

12 comments:

  1. very pretty plant! Had some that froze a few years back, and I also got 'donations'! Some seasons?? better than others. Thankgiving, coral bloom one did well this year.... The other 3 haven't even budded!! UGH...D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have a hard time knowing when the holidays are .lol But, I bet the coral colored one is pretty....when "it" decides to bloom.

      Delete
  2. heheh your so funny. It does look really pretty, worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. The truth to this story is-------- I had decided to just let this ole ugly plant die.. I moved it outside and never watered it during the summer.. Then a couple weeks ago,I noticed the bloom buds were all over.Of course, it had to come in to the house to show us its beauty.. So here we go again.lol

      Delete
  3. Beautiful - here we always call them a Christmas cactus... Once mine bloomed at Easter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they bloom when they want to.lol
      Seriously, I read somewhere, It depends on them being in darkness,when they actually bloom. The article said, you could force bloom them what ever time of year, by placing them in a dark room with no sun light for 6 wks and then bring them into a sunlighted room?? Never tried it..
      But it looks like these 2 different plants in my one pot, would have bloomed at the same time,if that were the case.hahahha [I think my plant , just likes to make me wait.ha]

      Delete
  4. Love the fushia! Of course, me and pink...I'm such a girly-girl! I have one that is bright bright red...
    but hasn't bloomed in 3 years! I might try the 6 weeks of darkness...but I'll probably forget it! LOL! I totally agree with you...they are ugly without the blossoms. But my mom has one that stands about 3 feet high and blossoms all the time! So, I keep figuring, there's hope for me...you know, same genes and all...LOL!

    Have a blessed day, my friend. I'm expecting a miracle...

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura , I like the fushia color too.. Yep.. I think 3yrs is tooooo long to not bloom [that poor ole plant would probably get left outside in all that snow ya'll get,and hate to tell you, but I think you missed the gene.ha] I think I like your mom's ever blooming one the best..
      praying for miracles here too.

      Delete
  5. Too funny, I have one that blooms around Easter so it is my Easter cactus. It lives out on the deck during the summer then comes inside for the winter. This winter I found a frog living between the bottom of the pot and the saucer...so now I have two odd things to contend with all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny Cathe.. I guess the frog will need to hide out from the winter in the good ole warm house.ha
      Aren't these flowers pretty when they bloom. but then..................so ugly.lol

      Delete
  6. I used to have one of those...you are right they look ugly during the year then they bloom and look beautiful! I must get another one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny.. I think everyone thinks their ugly.. It is so hard to keep them all year..ha

      Delete